From LA Times to Triggers Online: A Social Selling Transformation
When I asked my client how he’s gotten business over the years, he said, “I read the Los Angeles Times.”
My wonder quickly turned into admiration at his apparent cold calling chops. He’s drummed up a good amount of business over the years by reading the newspaper in search of management changes, mergers, or new product development. When he found something of interest, he’d pick up the phone and ask if they needed his services.
It was clear from his success, he knew how to sell, and he says that for him, “it’s a numbers game”. But more than numbers, for him it’s a timing game. Well, what if he could find 20x the number of triggers in real time? What would his business look like then?
As you probably guessed, a lot better!
Here’s a summary of how he’s started to prospect and sell socially:
- He created his own curated newspaper using Feedly (a free news aggregator) to feed relevant blogs, company-specific and industry news in real time.
- He shares content via Buffer to his network and LinkedIn Groups to help him fish where the fish are – and demonstrate he’s up-to-date about his industry.
- Using LinkedIn, he focuses on leads with whom he can get an introduction or referral, increasing his conversion rate.
- He finds a lot of information about a person by reviewing their LinkedIn profile, which helps him make a more relevant pitch on a call or via email.
- He’s conducting Advanced Searches on LinkedIn to find his ideal buyer at his ideal company.
- He’s regularly connecting with new people he meets offline, on LinkedIn, so he can build his network of referral opportunities.
- He regularly updates his LinkedIn profile with new blogs and videos so readers never have to assume his expertise, or with whom he works and how he helps them. His demonstrated credibility gives him a higher response rate.
After setting up a social selling regimen, my client is finding better leads at a swifter pace with better timing, and as a consequence, he’s closing more business. The interesting thing is, his selling routine hasn’t changed much. He’s just using better tools more appropriate for the online, digital and social business world we live in.
If you’d like to learn more, please feel free to book an appointment with me at calendly.com/celinaguerrero. Or for more information, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-994-8099.