When translating your personal brand into an online digital persona, it’s good to remind yourself that you are found and communicate who you are on the internet, mostly in words. This comes as a relief to some and a burden for others.
With that in mind, you don’t want to use industry jargon as much as the keywords and phrases that people use everyday to describe what they’re looking for.
If you say you’re an “attorney”, that’s fine, but if you use the words “corporate tax lawyer”, that’s going to resonate more precisely. If you say, “New York corporate tax lawyer” your chances of resonating with those that need you and can refer you, are even greater.
Since you don’t typically go around defining yourself in keywords, it can be helpful to conduct a simple exercise to identify keywords that most clearly define you.
Write down the top keywords in each of the following categories and any related hashtags.
1. Industries You Work In / For
- Eg. Financial Services, #finserv
2. Services You Provide
- Eg. Retirement Planning #401k
3. Decision Maker Titles / Your Title
- Chief Financial Officer, #cfo
4. Location (if applicable)
- Eg. Los Angeles, #losangeles
Once you’ve identified the most optimized keywords for your work, those keywords will be the cornerstone for many things:
1. They should be used generously in your LinkedIn profile so that you rank higher when someone searches for those terms.
2. They can be converted into your most relevant top hashtags.
3. They become core blog categories that define the primary subjects your blog articles will focus on.
4. They translate into the top skills (endorsements) to include on your LinkedIn profile.
5. They guide your selection of what LinkedIn Groups to join.
- Take time to identify the top 3-10 “key”-words that your ideal buyer uses to unlock your door.
- Stay focused on those top keywords to avoid wasting time on other non-related topics.
- Update them as necessary.
Celina Guerrero is founder of Los Angeles-based coaching and training company, Social to Sales. We help you transform your expertise into revenue through personal branding, social selling and digital influence.
Interested in learning more? Contact Celina at 310-994-8099, email her at email@example.com, or sign up for our weekly e-news and blog updates by clicking HERE.